"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela
Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Friday, July 22, 2011

Learning and Having Fun


It’s Friday again!  Which means we are at the Peace Corps office for the day and have internet.  This has been a pretty typical week.  We’ve had lots of time in language classes and technical training sessions as well.  We got the chance to talk to some current volunteers about what it’s like to work in schools, and we also got to talk with some youth from a nearby school about what challenges youth in Honduras are facing.  There were 2 exciting things from this week:

Exciting thing #1: ZIPLINING!
On Sunday, it was Chris’s birthday (one of the other trainees), so 11 out of the 15 of us decided to do a canopy zipline tour in the nearby tourist town, Valle de Angeles.  We had a great time, and it was a great bonding experience for us.  It’s crazy to think we’ve only been together for 2 weeks, because it feels like we know each other so well.  The zipline was fun and exciting.  The scenery wasn’t too special (nothing like the zipline tour over the waterfalls that I did in South Africa), but we had a great time.  After ziplining, we met the rest of the group in Valle and had cake.  It was a great day!

Exciting thing #2: COOKING!
On Thursday night, after playing some futbol (soccer) with other trainees, neighborhood kids, and some Peace Corps staff, I came home and my host cousin (who lives with me), Yeisling, taught me how to make flour tortillas.  They came out great, and we used them to make baleadas, which are flour tortillas with refried beans (but obviously homemade and not from a can) and queso.  It was really cool, and they said that next time I can make them all by myself (we’ll see about that!)
Me, Norma, and Yeisling making flour tortillas

All in all, another good week.  We’re supposed to be switching Spanish teachers next week, which is a real bummer for me and everyone else in my class.  Our teacher for the past two weeks, Angelica, has been great.  She’s super funny and full of energy.  I’m sure the other teachers are good too, but Angelica is awesome.  I’ve already learned so much already, and, hopefully when I have my next language interview during week 5 of training I’ll be at the intermediate-mid level and the pressure will be off a little.  For now, I just have to keep practicing.

Hasta la proxima viernes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment