"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela
Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Random thoughts on running in Honduras

So, I'm not much of a runner, and I never have been.  However, there's not exactly a Cardio Express or Planet Fitness around the corner for me to watch reruns of SVU while using the elliptical (but wouldn't that be wonderful?!).  Entonces, I've been going running every so often.  I don't go very far or run very fast, but it gives me something to do and allows me to get just a little bit of exercise.  I ran with some friends a little bit during training in the mornings in Las Canadas, and I actually somewhat enjoyed it, so I'm trying to keep it going as much as I can here in site.  Here are some random thoughts/experiences having to do with running in Honduras.
  • People here don't run.  Or really exercise at all, besides playing futbol.  And even then, it's only boys that play.  The first thing you should know about going running in Honduras is that everyone will look at you like you're crazy.  
  • There are often unexpected surprises while running here.  Things that you'd never experience on an elliptical at the gym.  Herds of cows, angry geese, campesinos telling you that they love you, little kids asking you to buy oranges....the list goes on and on.
  • It's important to not run so fast that you get really out of breath.  Because you have to be able to say, "Buenos dias" or "Adios" to every person that you pass.  Occasionally there are longer conversations as well.  Usually people saying obvious things like "You're sweating" or "You're running"...um, duh!
  • A couple fun stories:
    • There's a barrio called La Colonia that I always run past, and sometimes there's a group of kids at the end of the road that I stop and chat with.  One day, as I passed by on the way back, they all gathered at the end of their street and cheered me on and chanted my name "Sa-ri-ta! Sa-ri-ta!" as I ran towards them.  One of the kids even ran along side me as I got closer.  It was absolutely hilarious.  You'd think I just finished a marathon or something.
    • Another day, I had left the house to run and maybe 5 minutes later I came across a couple of girls who were headed to the river and they invited me to go with them.  So, I decided to change my plans.  We ended up joining up with a big group of kids and swimming in the river for an hour or so.  Then, I had to put my wet feet back into my socks and sneakers and walk home in sopping wet clothes.  You never know what will happen when you leave the house to go running!
We'll see how long I keep up this running thing.  Usually I run the same route each time.  I leave my house, walk up a small hill and then run to a bridge that crosses over the river.  I stop and sit by the river to catch my breath then head back, usually a combination of running and walking for the return trip.  In order to keep myself motivated, I'm thinking of looking for a 5K that I can sign up for in the end of August/beginning of September 2012 (did I mention that's when I'm thinking about coming home to visit?!).  That way I'll have something to work toward.  If anyone's got any info on a 5K around that time of year, let me know!

Some cows crossing the bridge where I usually turn around.  I must admit, the cows make me a little nervous when I try to pass them.

Merry almost Christmas!  The extended family has started to arrive here at my host family's house in Sulaco...so far an aunt and a nephew with 2 cute little kids.  Should be an interesting week!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, I love your stories! I will absolutely do a 5k with you! I want to plan one as a fundraiser for Simply Smiles, but we'll see.

    ReplyDelete