"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela
Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

What's Going On?

Wanted to fill you in on what's going on.  But this blog post title has a double meaning, because I've been asking myself that same question a lot the past few weeks.  Why?  Well, last time I posted we had a week off of school for inter-semester break.  Then, the following week, teachers were having meetings and wrapping stuff up for the first semester, so there was basically no class.  Then the week after that there were more days off and....What's going on?  There's almost no class EVER!  I haven't been to my smaller school since before vacation because there are so many "concursos" (competitions) that students are competing in, and teachers have to attend with their student so they cancel class.  This has affected my 6th grade classes at my bigger school as well because there are always students competing in municipality-wide and departmental-wide competitions (but one of the girls from one of my classes won the department-wide best student competition, which is super exciting!).

I've been doing my best to co-plan and co-teach as much as I can, but if there's no class there's not really much I can do.  The national government has also decided that each municipality should hold parades every Saturday to celebrate independence day.  This started last Saturday and goes until the end of September.  I should mention that independence day ISN'T UNTIL SEPTEMBER 15th!  And obviously, because there are parades every Saturday, the band has to practice every single afternoon...which means pulling half of the students out of class and not being able to do anything with the other half because they're distracted by the band/pom-pom-girl/baton-dancer rehearsal that's going on right outside their classroom.  What's going on?

At least I'm getting a lot of reading done...and spending lots of quality time with my dog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment