"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela
Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Friday, June 17, 2011

Saying Goodbye

This week, I went out to lunch with my friend Allie from school and had to say goodbye to her.  She was the first good friend that I've had to say goodbye to, and it's made me start thinking a lot about the next couple of years.  Allie's getting married this summer, and it's made me think about how much will probably happen in the next 2 years.  I'm sure some of my friends will be doing exciting things like getting new jobs, getting engaged, getting married, having kids (maybe), and moving to new places.  It's definitely going to be difficult being away while all of this is happening. 

I've had numerous dreams recently about the Peace Corps.  In one of them, I woke up and had to leave for the airport and was not packed yet.  In a recurring dream (more like a nightmare), I come home and all of my friends are gone or do not remember me.  Although that dream scares me a little, I have spent enough time with my good friends recently to realize that there's no chance that would happen.  Some of them have talked about coming to visit me, and they have been so supportive that I know they're not going anywhere. 

Now that subbing is over (yay!), I finally have time to start preparing to leave.  I borrowed a couple of Spanish learning CDs from the library, and unfortunately (or fortunately) they are at too low of a level for me.  Maybe I'll just start watching Spanish soap operas on tv :-) 

I had my last SLCC Board of Directors meeting last night, and I'm planning on heading up to the lake one more time before I leave.  It's definitely going to be hard to say goodbye and leave behind one of my favorite places in the world where I've met all of my very best friends, but luckily I know it's not going anywhere.  I know that all of the skills I've learned in my 7 summers there will be put to good use in Honduras!

I have been driving all over the place and making tons of plans with people to make sure I can say goodbye to everyone...so make sure you contact me so we can get together and I can say my goodbyes before I leave on July 6th!

No comments:

Post a Comment