"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela
Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Top Ten: Lessons Learned While Subbing in 7th Grade

I had a great Memorial Day weekend by the beach with good friends.  I've got the sunburn to prove it. Today was day 6 of subbing for 7th grade math, and it looks like I'll be in there until the end of the school year (8 1/2 days and counting...). They have had a lot of different subs in the past couple months, and apparently I've done the best job keeping them under control, so they're keeping me there.
Funny and so true.  Especially since I haven't had much experience with middle schoolers.

I've learned a lot, so I've decided to come up with the top 10 things that I've learned. Maybe top 10 lists will become a recurring theme for this blog...we shall see!

Here we go...

10. Say "please." Saying, "Please put the cell phone away," or, "Sit down, please," usually works better than yelling, "Put it away!" or "Get in your seat!"

9. Try to teach them something.  Even if you can just teach the few kids who will listen to you, it will at least make you feel like you accomplished something.

8. They will not walk in a line.  Getting them anywhere is like herding sheep.  Watch out for stragglers.

7. If you sneak up quietly enough, you can grab their cell phone/iPod/DS out of their hands before they can pull it away.  Also important to wear clothes with pockets so there is somewhere to store all of these devices.

6. When in doubt, stand by the door so they can't run.  I'm serious about this one.  Apparently I am very skilled at keeping the kids in the room (according to the other teachers, secretary, behavior managers, etc.)

5. Choose your battles wisely.  Running around the room and throwing things is worse than staying in your seat and listening to an iPod.  Sometimes it's just not worth the struggle.

4. Don't turn your back.  Crazy things can and will happen.  I would prefer not to give examples for this one.  Just trust me.


3. They'll do anything for candy.  Even math problems...imagine that!

2. Don't take it personally.  They're seventh graders.  Who cares what they think about you?  Don't let them make you cry. (I have been told that they have made many other subs/teachers cry)

1. As they get to know you better, things get easier.  Once they realize you won't give up on them, it gets better.  You have to earn their respect.


We learned a lot about resiliency in my seminar class this past year, and I am happy to say that my resiliency is at an all time high! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment